ShareThis provides a set of REST end-points to enable developers and 3rd parties to leverage the company's core sharing services. These services are already used by ShareThis products and are tested at scale. Developers may use these API services to customize the social experience in their web-site or applications to their end users. The API services are classified into several types based on expected usage:
- Sharing API: A set of web services that provide comprehensive sharing capabilities to 40+ social destinations. Sharing analytics are tracked by ShareThis and available through our web dashboard or through Google Analytics and Omniture. In addition, you may access these analytics through REST end-points described below.
- Stream API: Provides access to a stream of sharing and social activities across ShareThis network of 900,000 sites. The Stream API can be used to understand content that is socially trending (i.e. shared and visited most by friends and followers) by domains or subject topic. The stream is updated in real time.
- Share Count API: Provides access to total sharing activity for URL's. Data can be used to display counters on web-pages or in data mining applications to evaluate popularity of URLs based on aggregate social behavior.
- Mobile API: A set of services that enable mobile apps on the iOS platform to share their content directly from the app to popular social destinations through a simple user experience. Android platform will be supported in future.
- Analytics API: Provides total sharing activity for domains for various time periods.
To use the API you need:
- Register as a user with ShareThis to get a publisher key. Once registered your publisher key can be viewed next to your name in the Account page. ShareThis tracks sharing data using the publisher key which is generally used by sites that use our services.
- Request a secret access key by contacting us at email@example.com. Please provide your 1) name 2) corporate affiliation 3) your publisher key from registration. The access key will be emailed to the registered email for that publisher key. Please note that you are responsible for securing the access key.
All API requests require both the publisher key and associated secret key. To manage load on our servers, API requests are throttled to 150 requests/hour. If you require higher usage limits, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating your proposed usage so we may white-list your IP.
API Playground provides you the facility to test the APIs online.